Monday, February 25, 2013

Rylee: 5-9 Months at a Glance

Here are some things Rylee was doing from 5-9 months.  There are some other posts I will need to do about different trips we went on, but I wanted to writes these things down before I forgot. 

5 Months   (This was written when she was 5 months old.)
     So when Rylee was 4 months old we finally felt like we were getting the sleeping thing down.  She was sleeping 8-9 hours straight!  Only having to wake up once at night is an amazing thing.  Then Rylee decided she was too cool for that.  At five months she gradually started waking up more and more.  When I would try to put the pacifier in she would get upset because she wasn't getting what she wanted...FOOD.  That was the only thing that would put her back to sleep, and being exhausted and wanting to sleep myself, I would just feed her.  This kept going until one night she woke up every three hours to be fed.  She went longer when she was 2 months old!  So we started letting her cry it out, and gradually she has gotten better.  I am still working on getting her back to where she was, but we are going in the right direction:)
      At five months Rylee started talking more.  She also learned how to grunt/growl.  It was awesome!  And then one night when she was upset, she decided to mix the growl and the cry and she sounded like a monster.  We couldn't stop laughing.  She didn't find it as funny as we did.
     Rylee also learned to sit by herself.  It is now her second favorite position.  Standing is still number one:)  And being on her stomach is still at the very bottom of that list.  She is doing better.  She will tolerate it for a couple minutes before she gets frustrated.

6 Months
      We started introducing food to Rylee.  She loves food! She sits in her chair with her arms sticking straight out and her mouth wide open.  The only food she doesn't like is rice cereal with formula (It has to be breast milk...dang it! But we figured out that if we add some fruit baby food in to the rice cereal she can't taste the formula:) ), peas, and green beans.  With these foods, she either twitches or keeps opening her mouth for more but won't swallow.  Gradually the food starts coming out her mouth.  With the peas she gags. I don't blame her though:)
     She finally tolerates tummy time!  She gets there by going from sitting and gradually walking her hands forward until she ends up on her tummy.  Initially she had some good nose dives but after some time she had it down.  She still wont roll over. Crazy girl!

Kenny is feeding her prunes...and she loved them! Due to me having to change her diaper multiple times that night, they are officially banned. 

Rylee loves Dr. Suess books.  They are the only books she will sit still for.  And Kenny is very good at reading them to her:)

7 Months
    She learned how to get up on her hands and knees.  She would get frustrated because the only direction she could go was backwards.  On December 20th Rylee learned how to go from her stomach back to sitting.  Finally!  Now when she gets sick of being on her stomach, she can fix the problem! And, more importantly, she crawled!  I thought we were weeks away.  She didn't have any sort of army crawl or forward movement beforehand.  I went to the bathroom to get something and when I came back she was crawling! There was a little box about 4 feet away and she went and got it. Unfortunately that was the night that Kenny stayed late at work.  After I told him what she had done he came home and she showed off her new skill for dad:) Oh and she finally learned how to roll from her back to her stomach since crawling is her new favorite thing to do.

Now that she can crawl, she gets into everything!

8 Months
     She can say hi-da and dada.  Occasionally we will get a muh-muh-muhm. She also learned how to wave from her cousin Skye.  She could only do it with her right hand initially, but she eventually learned how to do it with her left hand.  They say children don't become right or left handed until around 2 years old.  This girl is definitely right handed! She always learns something first with her right hand, and then the left.



9 Months
    She knows who dada is.  She always gets so excited when she sees Kenny.  It is so cute:) She also learned how to clap and is working on her high five.  She thinks the clapping is so much more fun than waving, so unfortunately she doesn't wave much anymore. We finally got her on a good sleeping schedule! Hallelujah!! We put her down around 7:30pm and sleeps until 5:30am! We feed her a bottle and then she goes back down until 7-7:30am.  She is also finally taking good naps.  She just has to be swaddled in her car seat.  I tried everything to get her to take naps longer then 20-30 minutes in her crib and she wouldn't do it.  So the car seat it is!  She takes two 1.5-2 hour naps.  And since she loves sleeping in the car seat, she sleeps excellent at church.  Kenny can finally listen in Sunday School and part of Priesthood:) She is also finally getting her first tooth.  They really do exist!

Here is Rylee cart surfing at Target.  I was going back and forth between 2 products.  When I turned around I see that Rylee got bored and decided to liven things up a bit. She even managed to get around the buckle. I had a hard time getting her to stay seated the remainder of the shopping trip.  Standing was way too much fun!

Rylee really is growing up so fast!  She just keeps getting more and more fun.  She is a very expressive baby.  She loves to smile and make noises.  We love to make her laugh.  And it is always the weirdest things that make her laugh:) We are so blessed to have her and to be able to watch her grow, learn, and experience new things.  She is one awesome girl!

Kenny has been taking some good video lately.  It is on the computer now.  When he gets a good break from his PhD he will post some videos of her.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kenny and Kari! This is Chelsea Jacobsen(Jacoby's wife). I know this is random, but we were thinking of you guys the other day, and then I remembered I had seen your blog at one point. So after some blog stalking, I found it!! It's so fun to see what you guys are up to, and you baby girl is adorable!! We have a little girl that was born about a month before Rylee! Anyways, it's fun to see how you guys are and hopefully we'll see you at some point, maybe in Utah!!

    ReplyDelete