Monday, November 19, 2012

Apple Fest

We spent a weekend before Halloween at Way Fruit Farms at Apple Fest with the Gibsons. Apple Fest was PACKED with people! I never knew a fruit farm could have so many people at it. In a picture below you can see one guy directing people to park in the huge parking lot. We bought a few pecks of apples, picked out a pumpkin, and got a bag of freshly-made kettle corn. 

After parting ways from the Gibsons, we decided to take a long detour home, over the Pennsylvania mountains. It started to rain as soon as we left the farm, but we were already on our way, so we decided to continue onward anyway. By the time we started up the switchbacks up the mountain, the rain had stopped, and the sun came out. It made for some really good photos. All in all, it was a pretty fun day. 


It was a chilly day, so my girls had to dress up warm. 


We had a hard time deciding which pumpkind to get, but in the end we picked the short and squat one. 


Of course dad had to carry it. 


Pumpkins were like 30 cents per pound. I thought this one weighed about 15 pounds. It actually weighed 22. I'm not such a good guesser. I guess I had a good reference weight of ~13 pounds I should have used. 


This picture was taken as we got to the top of the mountain and headed into the forest. The Pennsylvania landscape is truly beautiful!


Good thing we turned around, otherwise I would have missed this!


Because of the quick rainstorm before the drive, the colors were really vibrant. 


We hit the leaves at the height of their color on this day. 


On our way back we saw a nice double rainbow (all the way across the sky)! The sun was almost down, so the rainbow was almost a perfect semi-circle on the eastern horizon. Notice how the order of the colors for the 2nd rainbow is the opposite of those of the 1st---science is cool!

2 comments: